Making bread doesn’t always have to take hours. We all don’t have disposable time to be making yeasted breads that require hours of rising. However, that doesn’t mean you have to be deprived of warm, freshly baked, homemade bread. You can still enjoy dabbling in bread making without the inconvienience of long rising and resting times. Soda breads are amongst the easiest and quickest breads to make and I have one of my favourite soda bread recipes here for you!
Soda breads are best baked using low gluten flours. Buckwheat flour is a fantastic, healthy gluten free flour that workd brilliantly in this recipe. Of course if you don’t have access to it, regular whole wheat flour works very well too! Well…. Are you ready to make some bread?
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time: 1 hr||Total Time: 1 hr 10 minutes|
Course: Breakfast, lunch, tea time
Key words: Buckwheat, Soda bread, Brown bread, Healthy bread
Makes: 1 loaf
- 375g Buckwheat Flour
- 100g Self-raising Flour
- 400ml buttermilk (350ml milk+ 50ml lemon juice)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1.5 Tsp Baking soda
- 1.5 Tsp honey
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 10g Mixed Seeds (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C/ 356 degreed F
- If you are making homemade buttermilk, it is the first thing you should do. Mix the milk with the lemon juice in a jug and put it aside.
- Line a loaf tin with parchement paper. For a quick and easy tehnique on how to do this click here!
- Next, in a mixing bowl sieve the flours with baking soda and salt. Make a well in the centre of these dry ingredients for step 3.
- To your buttermilk jug, add the honey, egg and oil. Stir well and pour into the well you made.
- Combine everything with a spatula/ wooden spoon.
- Once combined transfer the dough to the prepared loaf tin and spread it out to the corners.
- Run a sharp knife down the centre of the dough lengthways to score it, then sprinkle the mixed seeds on top of the loaf and bake for 50- 60 minutes at 180 degrees C/ 356 degrees F
My homemade buttermilk: 350ml milk with 50ml lemon juice. Let it sit for a minutes or 2 before use
Make a well in which to pour your buttermilk
Mix to combine everything well
Scored, seeded and ready to bake!